Friday, July 17, 2015

Modern Vampires, Real Questions



              As a chronic heart patient with HOCM and A-Fib, I consume many prescription drugs to control (or at least manage) my condition.  These range from medications that maintain my heart’s rhythm and pulse rate to ones that reduce fluids in my system.  I even take Warfarin, a blood thinner, to keep my blood from clotting too easily.  This requires regular weekly/bi-weekly tests to measure the INR level, which refers to the average time it requires for my blood to clot.  While on Warfarin, a patient may be more prone to bruising and bleeding.  In short, much of life these days revolves around blood.

               At the same time, my partner and I have become fans of the terrific UK series, Being Human.  Although the premise sounds like a bad joke (“A vampire, a werewolf, and a ghost walk into a bar . . . “), it is beautifully written, wonderfully atmospheric, and exquisitely played (especially by Aidan “Poldark” Turner and Russell Tovey).  It is our current streaming programme du jour in an age of binge watching.  (It looks at many issues similar to those of HBO’s late, lamented True Blood, but it does this in a different, less epic, more personal style.)

               This leads me to many interesting questions.  Given my personal situation, would I be welcomed by vampires or would I repulse them?  Would my blood taste good to them or would it taste like skim milk?  Soy milk?  Diet Coke?  Would it provide them nutrients they need or would it give them the runs?  Would they be able to tell before they sank their fangs in or would it be an unpleasant surprise?  Conversely, would I be a tangy treat?  Would Nosferatu have a nose for that kind of thing?

               I wish I knew some vampires like the sympathetic ones on TV these days.  I could sit and ask them these questions and they would not only answer but appreciate the interest and concern.  You never felt you would have caring, nurturing verbal intercourse with Bela Lugosi.  These are vampires for the new millennium.

               On the other hand, this line of thought also leads to other questions about things actually on the books.  For example, in this age of gay marriage, are gay men still prohibited in many states from giving blood?  If you are on all kinds of medication, as I am, does this rule out donation or transfusion?  This curiosity even bleeds over (!) into the issue of organ donation—would anyone be able to use my now-tainted viands?  Would my eyes or my kidneys still be viable?  (I already suspect my oversized heart and asthmatic lungs are not worth much—except perhaps in the scratch-and-dent aisle.)

               It seems odd.  I shouldn’t feel badly that I’m unappetizing for vampires, yet it’s also disconcerting somehow, this marginalization.  What’s troublesome is the sense of limited opportunities, that I’m not good enough for the undead.  I may from time to time bemoan this—until, like Cher slapping Nicholas Cage, I “snap out of it.”  I will have to make my contributions to the world (and the netherworld) in other, more tangible and inspirational ways.  I guess others will just have to chow down on my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment